After a short (and live!) musical interlude, Jim and Bryan tackled the latest publishing industry news and tips. Tips included Chuck Wendig’s 10 authorial self-promotion commandments, Nate Hoffelder’s thoughts on writing for short attention spans, and Jane Friedman’s four questions to ask yourself when building a community. The news stories centered on 100 percent self-publishing royalties, the difficulty of selling digital products, a customer’s lifetime Amazon ban, the five dumbest business practices in publishing, and the latest Author Earnings report. If you answer this week’s question of the week with a video or phone call, you’ll be entered into a drawing for a free year of Author Marketing Club! This week’s question: Should customers be allowed to return an unlimited number of ebooks at any time? Why or why not?
What You’ll Learn:
- Why sleep and positivity are important for publishing
- What commandments you should follow for self-promotion
- Why you shouldn’t write books for short attention spans
- The four questions you should ask when building a community
- Why Jim thinks more and more Gatekeeper Press companies will spring up
- Some tactics for selling digital and non-digital products
- What will get you banned from Amazon
- The five dumbest business practices in publishing
- What Author Earnings would mean even if the numbers were off
Question of the Week: Should customers be allowed to return an unlimited number of ebooks at any time? Why or why not?